Ramblings on the Road

Thursday, July 21, 2005

Book reviews

I am an avid reader. Recently, someone suggested I should write book reviews. My very first writing contract was for a series of book reviews for a Christian magazine many, many years ago, but I had not thought of doing that since.

Now, I am determined to read as many books written by two writing groups to which I belong, so I will give reviews in this location. Please note that I don't like saying anything bad about anyone's writing, so that's my main reason for not becoming a "professional" reviewer, but I will try to be honest and open with my reviews. If any of the authors happen to read my ramblings, please know that my reviews are not personal.

Below is a list of some of the more memorable books I've read recently. Some on this list are there because I was researching the publisher, most are there because I am becoming acquainted with the author through the writing groups.

Beneath a Southern Sky by Deborah Raney
This is one of the most emotional books I've ever read. From the depths of despair at the death of her husband to the peaks of joy upon finding new love, then the mix of emotions during all the twists and turns of the story - it was a roller coaster ride the entire time! I will eagerly seek out more books by Deborah Raney.

Eyes of Elisha by Brandilyn Collins
This is one of the most original stories I've ever read, and can't wait to read more of her books. Her tagline "Seatbelt suspense" describes the exactly the way I felt as I read - I kept asking "what's next?" At one point, I felt sure the story would end, but she brilliantly added more twists and turns to allow my reading, and the story, to continue! (Yippee!) BC is now one of my favorite authors. I follow her blog daily and try to learn as much as possible! She's a definite pro!

Ribbon of Years by Robin Lee Hatcher
I normally don't care for stories written like this, but Robin sure changed my mind! From the very first page, she captured my interest enough that I read the book in one sitting! By the end, I was sobbing, so have your hankies ready!

The Senator's Other Daughter by Stephen Bly
Rip-roaring fun! I laughed through this entire book! I know it's not necessarily a comedy, but the fun these characters had with each other made the entire book a hoot!

Judith and the Judge by Stephen and Janet Bly
The relationship between Judith and the Judge was pure fun! The characters were lively and made me wonder when their shenanigans were going to catch up with each other!

Meet my Sister Tess by Kristin Billerbeck
I fell in love with these characters! This was a fun book, with touching issues.

Without a Trace by Colleen Coble AND
Beyond a Doubt by Colleen Coble
This pair of books created a very serious subject, and Colleen Coble handled it with care and finesse. The pain suffered was real, yet bearable and the outcome lovely.

Her Home or Her Heart by Kasandra Elaine
This reminded me of another book I read (can't remember the title it's been so long!), but this book wasn't as "fun" as the other. It does have a memorable setting and plot, but the characters are many and thin. The outcome of the mission was anticlimactic.

Summer's Promise by Irene Brand
The struggle these characters faced was very real, and the writer captured their dilema exceptionally well. I found the sister's names amusing, and yet no teasing or even comments about them took place within the book!

Woman of Grace by Kathleen Morgan
I tend to like contemporaries, rather than historicals, but this story was beautiful, and very sad at times, and I enjoyed it completely.

Kiowa Husband by DiAnn Mills
Interesting storyline with believeable characters, but the cover was distracting. The cover characters seemed so fake and contemporary, while the book's characters were very real and true to the setting.

Dear Lady by Robin Lee Hatcher
I really enjoyed the characters of Janie, Beth and Garrett. I also appreciate that the character of Owen was likeable, and did not turn into a true "bad guy." This was a fun read!

A Bride for Dry Creek by Janet Tronstad
A fun story!

I will continue to add to this list as time goes by. I'm having a blast discovering all the talent in people I've met online, or will soon meet at conference.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home