Ramblings on the Road

Tuesday, July 26, 2005

Progress

While polishing the first three chapters, getting them ready to submit, I created more ideas to finish out the book. I thought I had it all plotted out and suddenly, this wonderful idea for a major scene popped into my head. I toyed with it a bit, and then suddenly, again, the idea of where to put this scene seemed so obvious it was a wonder it took me this long to figure it out. Duh!

I got a mentor for conference yesterday. (Hi, Diane!) I am so excited. She has been to conferences before and will help me get ready for my first one. So far, she's already given me great advice, answered a few questions, and offered to read my first three that I'm submitting this week.

Last night, in the midst of a debilitating headache, I sent off my cover/query, chapter synopsis, and first three chapters to Diane and Eileen, my View mentor who has been helping me with this project for a few months. After letting my husband proof it - and I'm thankful he caught several mistakes - I sent it off. Leading up to that time, I had been nervous about letting others read it, but I had polished and perfected this portion until I had to send it to someone or send myself to the looney bin!

I'm embarrassed at the number of stupid mistakes David found - verb tense switches were the main offender. But I'm pleased that the errors were in passages I had recently changed to accomodate more text, or other edits, and not in sections I had been over and over previously.

Now I wait for Diane's and Eileen's comments and edits...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home