Ramblings on the Road

Monday, August 22, 2005

Write, write, write

The only way to get any writing done is to write. Simple, huh? Well, I can sit at the computer and think of hundreds, or possibly millions, of things to do other than write, and I sometimes lose my focus.

Tonight, I wrote ten full pages of a new novel in about two hours. The RV was quiet, the campground was quiet and I felt compelled to write. So I wrote. I even managed not to edit too much. I did find a couple of passive sentences, and I highlighted those until I finished writing for the night, but no major editing at this point. At this rate, I might get a whole book written before long.

We went on a train ride today. Check out my travel blog to read about it!

Our synopsis class began today, "How to Make Your Synopsis Sing" being taught by Gail Sattler. Our first assignment was tough - condense your book into one paragraph. I've given a couple of attempts and Gail has made some suggestions, so I'm still working on it. This is a great exercise for me - as is all of my writing lately. With a newspaper background, I write very tight and concise, without a lot of detail. As I write my books and articles, when I rewrite, I am opposite of most writers - I have to add words, rather than delete. But condensing is an entirely new ballgame. We'll see if I strike out.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home