Ramblings on the Road

Sunday, August 14, 2005

Something new

Saturday, over on Terry Whalin's blog (see link at right) he talked about starting something new when waiting to hear on other writing projects. I was getting tired of my zillion current projects so I said, "Hey, it's Saturday. Do something new!"

I looked at the writing opportunities available on several of my writing job boards and found three interesting items and began work on them immediately.

I am trying my hand at a "10-minute play." I've never written a play before so it should prove interesting. I had never even considered writing a play, even though I love watching them, but instantly three completely different ideas popped into my head. I fleshed them out a bit, talked them over with hubby, and decided on the one to pursue. Monday, I'll start looking at formatting books so I will hopefully LOOK like I have a clue.

The second item I found was a call for a variety of different pieces for a fly fishing publication. I've been fly fishing since I was five, and have always wanted to write about it. This publication jumped at me, so I'm already working on a "memoir." I've not written a memoir before, so this will be a learning process.

The third item was an essay contest for a magazine. The topic is one I've been muttering, mumbling, griping, complaining and droning on about for several months, and here's my opportunity to make my opinion official! I've only written a few essays; my most recent is still under consideration at a major magazine publisher, so I'm not sure how I'm doing with essay writing at this point. Again, another learning process.

Terry has some great ideas on his blog, be sure to check them out. Thanks for making my Saturday a fun one, Terry!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home