Ramblings on the Road

Wednesday, August 03, 2005

Characters

Continuing a bit from yesterday's discussion.

I realized one of the reasons I can't write such dramatic books is because I like my characters too much! Why would I want to put them through some of the things I'm reading about now?

Ok, you can quit laughing. I know, it means I need to grow as a writer. I'll be working on that.

Sure, my first book, I actually kill off a secondary character. But she's not a "likeable" character to begin with, so there will be cheers upon her demise. I haven't yet reached the point where I can put a main character into a situation that causes such horrendous pain that she feels she can't breathe another breath. I wouldn't wish that kind of pain on my best friend, so why should I put it on my best character?

Maybe one day, I'll just have to write a book that gets all that... see, I can't even think all those horrid things. Watch me grow.

2 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home